Tigris Mythos - New R'n'D Version

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

DioramStudio

Tigris Mythos - New R'n'D Version

Post by DioramStudio »

Right now on Dioram.com, you can download Tigris Mythos, a new version of R'n'D.

At the bottom of this link's page are screenshots from Tigris Mythos:
http://www.dioram.com/tigmyt.php
RAP

Re: Tigris Mythos - New R'n'D Version

Post by RAP »

Checking on your website, you're the person who made JUE right? Or am I mistaken with someone else? Anywho, since the R'n'D forums are back up, and not everyone has noticed it yet, why not let me contribute and continue spreading the Rocks'n'Diamonds love as much as possible.

My thoughts on the game game so far:

THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET
  • Before I played the game, I noticed there's an instruction booklet; I was wondering if it was hearkening back when games come in manuals that actually need reading and enjoyment out of it than nowadays where tutorials had to be built in at the start. Not sure what to say, Super Mario Brothers' first level seemed self-explanatory; no unnecessary handholding (perhaps it applies to really complex games with more than two buttons).
  • Like the humorous take on the story, especially the usage of crossed-out lines!
  • I like the design of how it is read; the text is large enough to be readable, and simple enough to understand. I wonder if that's why manuals have small text to reduce paper usage...
  • Needs to have four players to work? I had to check the later levels in the later levels to make sure that's the case, and no it doesn't. Huh, there was a concept for a level I had in my mind before, it involved using extra players as an excuse for extra buttons to control; but doesn't have the energy to put out that work.
DURING IN-GAME
  • Some nice artwork, something refreshing from other previous artwork focused on the Boulder Dash/Emerald Mine/Supaplex aspect of the game in that it's a new game built out of Rocks'n'Diamonds. I thought of a day when Rocks'n'Diamonds is going to be used as an engine of some sort, packaged with the limitations and that it's tile-based.
  • The music overall is nice to listen to; hopefully I can listen them longer in later levels (or just listen them directly from the files). I'm not much of a music fanatic, mostly because I lean on video game music.
  • Despite my thoughts on the instruction booklet, it seems you integrated the tutorial side of things nicely.
  • Minor nitpick: In Level 5, when I pushed the barrel on the right and went with it, I assumed I can go to the left under the platform where the two barrels resided. However, it seems that I can't pass through under. I thought the black fading part of the graphic that holds the platform doesn't block the player. It seemed logical because it's part of the background.
  • More of a minor, irritating game flaw: In Level 12, there are wicks. I do not think it is a good game mechanic if the player has to force themselves to wait until the wick starts to fire up before disarming it, and that is made it more stress with the randomness element. A great example to remedy this is when the spikes are going to pop out: before it completely sticks out, the spikes will stick out slightly for a moment; telling the player, "Quick, get away from the spikes!". The wick should be brighten red for one second as a warning indicator before lit in flames. However, I checked the level editor; it's a reskinned Buggy Base from Supapalex. I suppose that fix wouldn't be possible. However, since that object is reskinned, it can be safely diffused with a good ol' snap action; which leads to...
  • SPOILERS! I'm humored by some of the game elements burrowed from Rocks'n'Diamonds to make it seamlessly part of the new game. What wonders on how this game is viewed with a new coat of paint with the extra delicacy of making it fit especially as a platformer puzzle game (not a puzzle platformer, there is a subtle difference between the two).
  • I have stopped at Level 17 for now. I'll play more of the levels when I have dedicated time for it and post my thoughts.
So far it's good. I love puzzle games, even if it means taking a few times to complete a single level.
DioramStudio

Re: Tigris Mythos - New R'n'D Version

Post by DioramStudio »

Hi RAP,

Thank you for your input.
Jürgen Bonhagen did not help produce Tigris Mythos, except for providing some code-changing advice.
The new art was done by me - you can find me at www.dioram.com.
The soundtrack was mostly done by Marc Andre at www.10x12productions.com.