native Emerald Mine set with "native" graphics

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

native Emerald Mine set with "native" graphics

Post by Martijn »

currently, when you load the classic Emerald Mine level set, it works with the RnD engine and its graphics. Shouldn't this be played with the Emerald Mine engine and with the orginal graphics as well, just as with the EMC levels?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> currently, when you load the classic Emerald Mine level set, it works with
> the RnD engine and its graphics.

Not totally correct for version 3.3.0.x, which indeed uses the R'n'D graphics for the display, but which uses the native EM/EMC game engine for playing the levels in the set. (Choosing to use the R'n'D game engine or one of the native game engines is independent from using the R'n'D graphics or native graphics.)

> Shouldn't this be played with the Emerald Mine engine and with the orginal
> graphics as well, just as with the EMC levels?

I've changed the game engine to the Emerald Mine engine (by using the native level files) to solve the problem of a few multi-player levels not being solvable in the R'n'D game engine, but I kept the R'n'D graphics, as the native, low-resolution, original EM graphics might alienate new users. Those die-hard Emerald Mine fans who want the exact same graphics as on the Amiga can still use the Emerald Mine level set in the Emerald Mine level collection, which is available on the "Download" page of the R'n'D site.

In fact, I'm thinking about using the R'n'D engine levels again for the EM set in the Classic section of the base game installation (but then only the all-solvable single-player levels), because the dynamite handling also might be confusing for new users, and because playing with the R'n'D engine feels much smoother than the EM engine with its delayed reaction to player input (which is due to the synchronous nature of the EM engine).

(The native Supaplex game engine does not have this behaviour, as it is asynchronous like the R'n'D engine, but it also have a similar bomb-dropping delay, which is just because both games had only one fire button available on the Amiga joystick, which had to be used both for snapping _and_ dropping.)