RND and it's possibilities (Splitted)

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Mega cool !! 8)
Very good work.

Next challenge is "Battle Isle" ...
And the answer is ... 42 !
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Or how about Tetris? Would THAT be possible? Or maybe even the Columns game!
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Seriously.........

Command And Conquer! :-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

:D :D :D

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

We are quite near to make an OS/SDK out of RnD - the most important thing we miss is disk access directly from a CE... then one could think about reading the e-mails from within RnD, then another (with more stable feet on the land) could plan about asking a good cup of tea to RnD...

No, seriously, very nice ideas, Tetris being the first. I would pay to be able to stop the game, enter in the level and bomb away that damn "s" piece that covered that supercombo 4x free space ;)
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Maybe Tetris 1D? ;-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

It would be cool to have that real Tetris look, with coloured blocks...

Alan

Post by Alan »

We are quite near to make an OS/SDK out of RnD - the most important thing we miss is disk access directly from a CE... then one could think about reading the e-mails from within RnD, then another (with more stable feet on the land) could plan about asking a good cup of tea to RnD...
This is a good point, where do you draw the line? It's like that question in Jurassic Park "Sometimes we are so busy finding out if we can do a thing that we never stop to ask if we should"

Or should we keep making BD photocopy levels?

Anyway, I've attempted Tetris many times and always failed... I can do the line check and stack drop and even the large shape (have to be 3x3 though), it's the rotation & collision that's tricky. Going off topic here though.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Alan wrote:
This is a good point, where do you draw the line? It's like that question in Jurassic Park "Sometimes we are so busy finding out if we can do a thing that we never stop to ask if we should"
I've exaggerated the idea to make a citation of H2G2, but I meant exactly that.
Alan wrote:Or should we keep making BD photocopy levels?
Of course not, but yours was a rethoric question ;)
A lot of new game types can be made with RnD, and you're showing us the cutting edge ;)
Alan wrote:Anyway, I've attempted Tetris many times and always failed... I can do the line check and stack drop and even the large shape (have to be 3x3 though), it's the rotation & collision that's tricky. Going off topic here though.
Oh, what a shame to hear such things! I'd really like to play a "walkable" RnD Tetris clone...

Never mind about going Off Topic, we have the scissors and a fitting OT section :D
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

Then again.........disk access would be nice ;-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:Never mind about going Off Topic, we have the scissors and a fitting OT section :D
And also a quite interesting "General Discussion". And it is quite an interesting subject.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Zomis wrote:
Francesco wrote:Never mind about going Off Topic, we have the scissors and a fitting OT section :D
And also a quite interesting "General Discussion". And it is quite an interesting subject.
Oh, of course, the OT section was far away from being fitting to this split. Well done, Zomis.

I take the occasion to repick the line...

I don't know if Alan is kidding or not, about the disk access ;)

It would be far cool, but *really dangerous* in wrong hands... not to speak about the coding it would need to implement, so I wish that such a feature will never be added.

Hey, I am not against evolution. But *that* is a line to draw, I think.

We can still discuss about the cup of tea, if you find it interesting as feature to ask to Holger ;)
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:It would be far cool, but *really dangerous* in wrong hands... not to speak about the coding it would need to implement, so I wish that such a feature will never be added.
I would say that disk access would be an excellent feature, as long as it is limited to accessing the current levelset directory. For example, loading and saving "data.dat" with a couple of CE values and element data would be really good.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Uhm, yes, let's say that I agree with disk access as long as it falls within really well defined boundaries. I won't like to download and play a level that fulfills my disk with GBs of looping or random data, if you understand my fears... it could be dangerous both in case of bad conscience and in case of bad CE coding.

"virus checking" from within RnD is not a feature that we could risk to be in need of, at all.

Hope Holger is just LOLing at all this stuff, and nothing more...
Francesco
user

Post by user »

Martijn wrote:Or how about Tetris? Would THAT be possible? Or maybe even the Columns game!
maybe Atomix?