How to draw a level sketch? Read on! :-)

For testing of level sketches, avatars, banners and BBCodes.

Moderators: Zomis, Flumminator

Holger
Site Admin

How to draw a level sketch? Read on! :-)

Post by Holger » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:26 am

Last edited by Holger on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:37 am

The above links don't work anymore, and there seem to be no backup of those packages. But the following packages are still available:

Level Sketch V2.0 Stand-alone version:

http://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/rocksnd ... ls2_sa.zip

Level Sketch V2.0 Installer version:

http://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/rocksnd ... s2_ins.zip

Have fun!

RAP

Post by RAP » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Request: Why not add an explosion tile? I had to use as an explosion tile in one of my examples.

filbo

Re: How to draw a level sketch? Read on! :-)

Post by filbo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:50 am

To draw such a level sketch, use the ` key (for normal sized elements) or the ¸ key (for small sized elements)
Hi -- when I use :DB it dumps ASCII backquotes (`); :DDB dumps a character hex-B8 which shows up as a white diamond with a question mark in it, in gnome-terminal. Sure enough, that's what the source code shows. In fact, if I copy the text "the ¸ key" out of your post, what looks to me like a comma is actually showing up as hex C2 B8 when pasted into a regular ASCII text file.

So I'm a little confused. When I read "the ¸ key" I expect to just type a comma -- I'm sure I don't have a "looks an awful lot like a comma, but is just a tiny bit different" key on my keyboard! :)

So I test:

Backquote yamyam:
Comma yamyam: ,011
What-the-comma yamyam:

Even the forum is in on this conspiracy! Regular commas don't work, only the Different Weird Comma.

Googling for [UTF-8 "C2 B8"], I learn that this is a standalone cedilla. Ok, maybe European keyboards actually *do* have a standalone cedilla key, or at least an AltGr-comma or some such sequence to generate one?

This seems like a to me. Especially since the forum appears to expect a 2-char UTF-8 sequence, while the source code says printf("%c", '[single B8 char]').
select the desired region using the "grab brush" tool (type 'g" and select rectangle with the mouse)
This doesn't work for me; the "grab brush" tool appears to be 'b' rather than 'g'.

Is there any way to "grab brush, then print sketch" of an entire level? I tried to do it with that Martin Brentnall level 14, which is quite a bit larger than the level editor window, and I couldn't drag the brush larger than the visible area.

filbo

Post by filbo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

Test...

filbo

Post by filbo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 am

Another test...

filbo

Post by filbo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Is there any way to "grab brush, then print sketch" of an entire level? I tried to do it with that Martin Brentnall level 14, which is quite a bit larger than the level editor window, and I couldn't drag the brush larger than the visible area.
Here's the top of that level -- printed with ":DDB" and a small source change.

For these very wide sketches, it would be nice if the forum allowed the sketch to extend all the way to the right hand side of the tab. To see the regular tiles version without wrap, I have to "zoom out" until text is nearly unreadable. The small tiles version can be seen with only a little zooming out, or making the browser window very wide. The small tiles have narrow white lines between them (might be a Firefox zoom artifact).

Trying to post the entire 64x64 image of the level I'm messing around with doesn't work. The printout gets much slower as I add lines (I think non-linearly?) and by about 64x35, it just times out and sends a blank HTML "page".

filbo

Post by filbo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Patch:

In level editor, typing ":DB" or ":DDB" will print a level sketch of the entire level if no brush is selected.

Code: Select all

--- editor.c.orig	2013-09-05 01:38:45.000000000 -0700
+++ editor.c	2014-06-22 05:21:47.144204099 -0700
@@ -10143,18 +10143,20 @@
   if (mode == CB_DUMP_BRUSH ||
       mode == CB_DUMP_BRUSH_SMALL)
   {
+#if 0  /* Allow level sketch of whole level */
     if (!draw_with_brush)
     {
       Error(ERR_WARN, "no brush selected");

return;
     }
+#endif

-    for (y = 0; y < brush_height; y++)
+    for (y = 0; y < (draw_with_brush ? brush_height : lev_fieldy); y++)
     {
-      for (x = 0; x < brush_width; x++)
+      for (x = 0; x < (draw_with_brush ? brush_width : lev_fieldx); x++)
       {
-	int element = brush_buffer[x][y];
+	int element = draw_with_brush ? brush_buffer[x][y] : Feld[x][y];
 	int element_mapped = element;

if (IS_CUSTOM_ELEMENT(element))